Aging is a natural process for the body but it is also one of the biggest concerns. Not only does it make you look old, it takes away your body’s strength as well. But ageing is not caused by just one factor. There can be multiple reasons such as stress, unhealthy lifestyle, prolonged exposure to UV rays, excessive smoking etc.
Some facts about human body and ageing:-
- Skin accounts for about 15% of your body weight. It is the largest organ in the human body.
- Skin sheds its dead cells on a daily basis, creating a new layer of skin every 28 days
- Wrinkles develop mainly due to photoageing, particularly affecting sun-exposed areas.
- Acne can be caused or aggravated by menstruation and/or pregnancy due to changes in hormone levels, sweating, humidity, some medications, and certain cosmetics or hair preparations.
- Stress is not just responsible for acne – it can affect your skin’s texture. Stress causes skin to become thin and reduce its ability to regenerate, causing you to age faster.
- The heart also shows a gradual reduction in performance with advancing age.
- The brain and nerve cell are the only cells that the body cannot regenerate so once they are damaged, they cannot be replaced.
First signs of aging starts by wrinkles which is followed by dull, patchy skin. Slowly susceptibility to infections starts and body starts to lose the strength it once had. There are joint pains and muscle spasms. Posture also becomes stooped over the time. Grey hair, memory loss , indigestion and many other problems slowly creep in.
Ageing starts by “Random Molecular Damage”. This stage means inflammation and unrepairable damage starts at a molecular level. Then comes “Cellular defects”. Age related methylation changes and stem exhaustion take place. From there on starts “Tissue Dysfunction” which ultimately leads to Ageing.
Not everyone’s skin ages the same way. Oily skin types may have cursed their acne in their youth, but this factor will help you age slower than your dry skin counter parts. Oils naturally moisturize the skin and protect it from aging. Dry skin types can make up for this by applying a lightweight moisturizer with hyaluronic acid, because this molecule attracts water. Lipids are natural fats that make your skin’s outer layer moist and healthy. Using harsh cosmetics with detergents and alcohol will deplete your natural lipids and dry your skin out. This is why it is important to use natural products without harsh ingredients.
Well, some can thank their genes but others aren’t so lucky so we would need to put a little extra effort. Change in lifestyle is a must. One must eat healthy and exercise regularly. To cut down sugar is also a good step towards the process. Regular use of sunscreen, Yoga and a stress free lifestyle can do wonders for the skin and mind. Age as they say, catches up to everyone. The only thing we can do is may be slow it down a little.